Monday, January 02, 2006

A Happy New Year (with your text set in Courier)

It is a new year now, and I am about to finish my dissertation. I thought it might put some healthy pressure on myself to say so in public. It won't exactly be handed in within the next few weeks, but a full draft will soon be handed over to two good cops at my department that I will, of course, ask to be as bad as they can when they read through it and comment on it.

What an amazing and awkward puzzle it is to find the proper place for the points I want to make in the text and to fill in the gaps where taken-for-granted information turns out to be missing (because it is only taken for granted by me). It is a great relief however, to have the formal deadline (February 2) at close quarters. I can hand in library books that I will now definitely have no time to read, and I can delete sketchy parts of the text that I definitely won't have time to develop this time around.

Moreover, I have found some comfort in a distinction (made in a Danish book on doing PhD's) between the Courier Dissertation on the one hand and the Times (or was it Times New Roman) Dissertation on the other:

The Courier kind (which will often be set in Times anyway) is the unpolished text which presents a number of interesting and substantial results, but which is not ready to go to print. As opposed to the Times kind which is.

The main point is, that the courier kind will serve to prove whether or not the candidate has earned the title of PhD. Moreover, if the dissertation is to be published, it will probably need editing in any case, and weeks or months spent polishing the dissertation might not be worth the effort.

Well, that's all from me for now. I wonder if people are still visiting the blog every once in a while? I would love to hear how things are going in your various quarters.

A Happy New Year to all of you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ivar John Erdal said...

A happy new year to you too, Christine, and the best of luck in finishing your dissertation!

January 03, 2006 10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home